Waiting …


Friday 21st to Sunday 23rd April

I had an appointment this Friday morning at the Churchill Hospital in Oxford. This was to check how my kidneys are doing. It has been booked for a long time, at the request of my Birmingham consultants, as they have seen from my blood tests I have taken there that one of the results isn’t quite what it should be. They know that tacrolimus (the anti rejection drug that I have to take) can affect the kidneys so they just wanted me to get them checked out by a proper kidney doctor.

I had to get up and leave reasonably early in order to get to my appointment in time. But I didn’t feel well. My face and eyes were swollen and puffy and my head felt like it was going to explode, I guess from the fluid. My legs had fluid in them too. I looked and felt awful.

Anyway I had no choice but to get ready and go.

I saw the doctor reasonably quickly and he said that it is something Birmingham just needs to keep an eye on, but I don’t need any treatment for my kidneys at the moment. So that was good news.

But he still decided he wanted some blood from me to test :/ They run a system there like when you’re queuing to be served on the deli at Tesco, you pick a ticket and wait for your number to come up. So I waited, and waited, and waited. It was getting ridiculous. The numbers were hardly progressing at all. I still wasn’t feeling brilliant, and I was getting very frustrated and fed up. I knew they were already testing my kidney function from the blood I had taken just on Wednesday, surely I really didn’t need to wait this ridiculously long time for the same thing again?

But I made myself stay, I’m really not sure how I did it. I had been waiting for over an hour and a half when my number finally came up. Then the nurse that was there wouldn’t even attempt to take my blood! She could see all the previous bruising on my arms and had trouble finding a suitable vein so she said she wasn’t even going to try. She said I’m going to find a doctor. I said I was just not prepared to wait any longer, I just wanted to cry, I didn’t feel well and I was so fed up with everything. But thankfully the doctor was just outside the door. She was searching for suitable veins for ages so at least she wasn’t just stabbing me for no reason! and I think she eventually was successful in getting some of my blood on her second attempt.

I was then out of there as quick as I could. I walked to the cafe to get myself a coffee. I also picked myself a chocolate brownie but it actually wasn’t very nice! 😩

I had managed to request a phone call from a doctor at my surgery earlier as I wasn’t feeling very well and she rang me back just as I sat down with my much needed coffee. When I explained to her about the fluid and that I wasn’t feeling good, she said could I get to the surgery to be seen.

So I made my way back to the Park & Ride bus stop, got on the bus which took me back to my car and then I drove straight to the surgery! The doctor told me that from Wednesday’s blood results it showed that I was deficient in some vitamins but she didn’t really know what she should do about it, she needed to talk to my doctors in Birmingham to check with them first. She said some of my symptoms may be caused by that deficiency. She took my blood pressure again, that was okay. She told me to gradually decrease my hormone tablets as the bleeding had stopped, as they may not be helping me to feel that great either. But all in all my visit wasn’t that brilliant, not that helpful really, I will just have to wait and see what Birmingham say I guess.

Home to tidy the kitchen!

I had seen somewhere on the Internet that a steam train, I think it was called The Cathedrals Express (but I’m not 100% sure!) was due to be passing through Banbury train station.  Gary likes trains 🚂 so we thought as we were going there anyway on this Saturday afternoon we might as well go and have a look.

Well I was certainly in for a surprise. I have been on a steam train before, a few years ago now, and I’m pretty sure it just trundled along the track so that we could have a good look out the windows at the scenery. I certainly wasn’t expecting this one to come through at I don’t know how many miles an hour! I wondered why the station announcer kept telling everyone to stand way back behind the line. And now I know! It was SO fast, it shocked me and took my breath away 😱😂

We had a walk into town to do a bit of shopping. We also had a look around the garden centre there. I was pretty exhausted from all the walking about. Then home we went.

It was a warm sunny afternoon. Gary put my storage box back together for me in the garden. Julie and Hannah came round and helped me and Leah do a bit of garden decorating!


The day was finished off with a takeaway Chinese.

Sunday morning was a trip back to Homebase to return one of the garden chairs, as when we were all out there yesterday we had noticed that one of them was a bit faulty! They easily just swapped it for another one.

Then home to wait for Robyn to finally come home from her travels – YAY 😁

Myself and Leah had put up some banners and balloons 🎈inside and out to welcome her back.

She had a brilliant time 🗺 

Lucky thing!

A cuddle and a sleepover followed. It was good to have her back.

2 responses »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s