Thursday 9th November

I went to the JR Hospital to volunteer as normal.

I went for a walk into Headington as normal.

I stopped at the pelican crossing and waited for the green man. I took a step. My very first thought was that something extremely heavy had somehow fallen out of my backpack and hit the back of my leg with such force! I had extreme pain. It felt like something had exploded inside of my leg. I kind of hobbled to the other side of the road while all the cars were waiting for me. Thankfully there was a wall which I leant against. I didn’t know what on earth I was going to do. I was almost a mile away from the hospital where I had walked from.

I messaged both Robyn and Leah, I don’t know what I thought they were going to do as they were both at work and not finishing until much later in the evening! I thought ‘I’m just going to have to try to walk back’. So that’s what I did, I hobbled back through the streets for nearly a mile, slowly and very painfully.

While I was hobbling I was trying to decide whether I should just get on the Park & Ride bus back to my car, I wasn’t sure that I would be able to drive it but it was a bit closer to home for someone to pick me up. Or whether I should get myself to the A&E department to get my leg checked out while I was already up at the hospital.

I eventually decided to go and get it checked. I was a bit hot and bothered! and my face and neck were red and burning up by the time I got there.

I must just show you what I suddenly noticed was facing me while I was sat in the waiting room.

I had to painfully hobble to the room where they triage you and then back to my seat, then painfully hobble again through to the next department and cubicle where I was seen.

I was shaking when I got on the bed and was being examined. I was given a blanket and told that I probably had a bit of shock. I’m not bloody surprised after what I had to do to get there!

I had torn my calf muscle 😰

I was just sent off with the advice to ice pack it regularly and keep it raised to help with the swelling and take painkillers (I am only allowed to take paracetamol) and that it could take a few weeks to get better 🤔

Another painful hobbling session back to the main hospital reception so I could try and gather my thoughts and decide how I was going to get home. I now knew that I was not able to drive my car!

I then found out that Gary had been working in Oxford so he came and picked me up and took me home.

I was in a LOT of pain and very upset 😢

I still had the problem of my car being left in the Park & Ride car park in Kidlington and that the parking ticket would run out at just gone 9pm. After a lot of thinking and messaging around I finally managed to solve the problem. My brother George would get a lift with Gary and then he would drive my car back home 🚗

What a horrible day 😫

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s