Saturday 9th to Sunday 10th April

Saturday was Grand National day. A quick trip to Banbury, then a walk down to the bookies with Gary to put our money on the horses we had chosen. I picked Pendra because the horse is trained just outside the town where I live and Silviniaco Conti simply because I didn’t know how to pronounce it!!!

We went along to Julie’s to watch the race with Hannah and Robyn too (Leah had gone on a romantic day out to London with Jack as it was their 4 year anniversary 💘) It has been a tradition in our family to have a little bet on the Grand National every year. I can remember being allowed to pick a horse when I was a child, we all picked one, my dad quite liked his horse racing and would study the form a bit more than the rest of us though, and then we would all sit round the tv to watch. And back then my mum just used to phone the local bookies to put the bets on and she would go down on the following Monday to either collect the winnings for any of us, or to pay the debts!

I didn’t win – again 😦 Hannah picked the winner though and she did last year too, so I think we will all be copying her when next year’s race comes along!

Sunday was spent not doing anything too special.

But I did read about this on the Transplant Australia Facebook page.

‘Humans aren’t the only ones benefitting from life saving transplants. Check out this story by Dr Chris Brown about a world first beak transplant’

“This seabird just got a second chance at life thanks to a world first beak transplant. 

When this cormorant was found floundering in the surf off the coast of Queensland missing his top beak, life seemed hopeless. But thanks to a world first procedure he’s now headed back to the wild. “Beaky” has received a groundbreaking beak transplant after a matching donor beak was located just in time. 

I attached the preserved beak using lightweight pins and wires. But for extra strength, Beaky received a distinctly Queensland touch; his beak was fibreglassed in place by two local surfboard shapers. 

After spending two months learning how to catch fish again using his artificial beak, Beaky has just been released by the same two carers that originally rescued him and ultimately saved his life. It was an incredible team effort and one that none of us will ever forget…”


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s